Sunday, September 4, 2016

Make this DIY deodorant with leftover candle wax!



So I have a confession to make - I love candles! Anytime we have people over I have at least three candles burning: one in the bathroom and two in the living room because we have vaulted ceilings and I am always afraid that the scent is not strong enough and our house will just smell like our dog! In addition to my obsession with burning candles, I never throw them away even if there is only a tiny layer of wax in the bottom. So I have about twelve candles with about an 1/4 inch layer of candle wax left! And today - I finally put that leftover wax to good use - because I am weird and frugal : )


If you are like me, then you love saving money ANY chance you get - even if it is just a few pennies! One of the ways that I save money is to MAKE things instead of buying them. I have actually been avoiding making my own deodorant because all of the DIY recipes that I have seen so far use beeswax (which is expensive) and tea tree oil (which stinks!) and I am not concerned about "going green" or chemicals in my deodorant - I just want to save money! So I googled if you can make deodorant without beeswax and I found this recipe on Mommypotamus that uses only cornstarch, baking soda, and coconut oil. The only problem is, it is more of a paste (because of the liquid nature of coconut oil) and therefore you can't use it as "stick" deodorant. And I would MUCH rather use a stick but I don't want to have to buy beeswax!


So, staring at all of my leftover candle wax jars... I had a beautiful epiphany: why not put all of my unused candle wax to good use? Not only does it smell AMAZING but I figured it would be the perfect ingredient to make some of my own homemade deodorant! Oh, and one more thing, I also want ANTIPERSPIRANT not just deodorant - because I don't just want to smell nice - I prefer not to be dripping non-stinky sweat all day! So, I did a little research and came up with this list of ingredients:

1/4 cup Baking Soda - natural deodorant

1/2 cup Candle Wax - for the scent and to make it firm

1/2 cup Coconut Oil - naturally antifungal and antibacterial

Empty deodorant container - to fill up

Body spray - for the scent

1/2 cup Corn Starch - natural antiperspirant!!


Here's what to do:

1. Melt the 1/2 cup candle wax in a small saucepan on low (Thanks to our lovely cat Rukia - I had a pre-broken jar of candle wax from one of her "ninja kitty" modes - if you are a cat owner you know whereof I speak)


 2. Mix 1/4 cup Baking Soda and 1/2 cup Cornstarch in a small bowl




3. Mix 1/2 cup coconut oil into the baking soda/cornstarch mixture and blend until it becomes a creamy paste (below)


4. Pour the melted wax into a glass pitcher and blend the oil/soda/starch paste with it



5. Add a few squirts of body spray for extra-yummy-smellification and mix well


6. Allow to cool for a few minutes (you don't want it to be too hot or it will melt your plastic container - you also don't want it to be too cold or it will be too thick to pour) and pour into the empty deodorant container


7. Let stand for one hour and your homemade antiperspirant/deodorant is ready to use! (save any leftovers in the fridge and you can melt it and pour it into the empty container the next time you run out)


Boom! DIY deodorant - done!



Also, this picture - because, why not?

Let me know in the comments below if you have any other uses for leftover candle wax or if you have any questions/suggestions concerning DIY deodorant!




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am deathly allergic to coconut (and all other tree nuts) do you know of anything I could use instead?
I really enjoyed your post.
I also save candle wax even though I never use it.

Unknown said...

Natural deodorant without coconut oil
DIY deodorant spray – all natural
¼ teaspoon baking soda.
¼ cup water (as clean water as you can find)
2 drops tea tree, lavender or rosemary oil.

Unknown said...

How do you make deodorant without coconut oil?
Here are a few dedorant recipes without coconut oil:

DIY Aloe Vera Deodorant Spray
1/2 cup witch hazel liquid.
1/4 cup Aloe Vera juice.
1/4 teaspoon baking soda.
10 drops Essential Oil of your choice. If you don't want baking soda just use cornstarch or arrowroot powder and the wax can be your coconut oil.

Unknown said...

I hope the 2 I gave you helps. Have a nice day.

Unknown said...

I made a similar version to this, just without the candle wax and with coconut oil and if you don't put in dry cool place it will kinda sperate and the oil will float to the top. That was just 1 of 2 recipes I found, I needed it quick so I made it and it works for exactly 48 hours after that You start to smell. Thankyou for this recipe, I will most def try.