Saturday, June 18, 2016

High-protein Low-sugar Waffles : )


One of the best things about Saturday morning besides the lazy snuggle time is BREAKFAST. My favorite Saturday morning breakfast to make is waffles!! Some lovely person bought us a nonstick ceramic waffle iron as a wedding gift and I have definitely gotten fair use out of it since then. But two months ago I went on a healing Alkaline diet and finally got unaddicted from sugar (whoot whoot!). Not only do I have a lot more energy than usual - which definitely comes in handy being a preschool teacher who does not drink caffeine - but I have not experienced any migraines that I used to suffer from AT LEAST once a month. Now I still try to eat as alkaline as possible but mainly I try to search for recipes that are low sugar-high protein - and this waffle recipe that I invented fits the bill!! Might I also add that they are so sweet already that you do not even need syrup? 

It is much easier to make than my old waffle recipe that required separating the egg yokes and whites and then fluffing the whites prior to mixing up the batter. For this recipe all you have to do is throw all the ingredients in the blender and - VIOLA! - you have some high protein - low sugar waffles!

Now the 1 tsp sugar in this recipe could be replaced with 1 pack of sweetener to make it no-sugar-added, but I cannot in good conscience recommend sweeteners as I believe they were the cause of my seizures in college. But enough of that - on to the recipe!

HIGH PROTEIN - LOW SUGAR WAFFLES:

Ingredients -

         2 scoops vanilla whey protein powder
         1 tsp sugar
         4 eggs
         1/4 cup milk (any kind)
         1/2 cup water

Directions -

          Preheat waffle iron. Blend all ingredients in a blender. Spray iron with non-stick cooking spray and add 1 cup mixture to iron. Cook for about 2 minutes or until golden brown. Recipe should make 2 large waffles depending on the size of your waffle iron (mine is a Belgian waffle maker). Enjoy your energizing and filling high protein breakfast!


I apologize for the pictures, I decided to write this post right as my husband was about to finish off the last waffle! That is why there is a bite missing from it... but regardless, I hope you enjoy the recipe and feel free to post any suggestions or modifications in the comments below!

No comments: